Monday 13 January 2014

Cabbage Soup Recipe

Happy Monday my teaspoons!

I’ve started to receive some comments and feed back from you guys and wanted to say a big THANKS to all of you out there who are supporting me and helping me get new ideas to help me succeed.  Hopefully, my blog will also help YOU succeed.

Some of you have been asking me for the recipe for my cabbage soup.  It’s my mom’s home made recipe.   It’s quite easy and you can pretty much put in whatever you have on hand (or in your refrigerator).  Here it is!

Cabbage soup recipe

Broth:

I make my own broth.  I use a pressure cooker.  You could easily use a normal pot but you will have to let it boil about double the time (about 3hrs instead of an hour and a half).

To make my broth, I use the bones and the skin of a whole chicken that I’ve made earlier in the week (you can also freeze the bones and skin and use them when you want to make soup).  You can also use the skin and bones of a rotisserie BBQ chicken that you have bought at the grocery store.

So here are the ingredients for the Broth:
  • Bones and skin of one chicken
  • 2-3 celery stalks cut in thirds
  • 1 onion cut in a few chuncky pieces
  • Water (you will want to fill your pot or pressure cooker to about the 2/3 with water)
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Dry Thyme

Put all the ingredients in your pressure cooker or you pot and let boil for about 1 and a half hour (if using a pressure cooker) and about 3hrs if using a normal pot.

Once the broth is ready, use a strainer to separate the solid ingredients from the broth.  Throw the solid ingredients in the trash.  Let the broth cool over night in the fridge.

The next day, peel out, with a spoon, all the fat that will have hardened on top of your broth overnight.
Bring the Broth to a broil.  This is where you can get creative.  Put whatever veggies you like in your boiling broth.  I usually put the following:
  •  A Can of diced tomatoes
  •  Carrots
  •  Turnips
  • Celery
  • Cabbage
  •  Mushrooms

Just remember that some veggies take longer to cook then others.  So put them in according to their cooking time (i.e. the veggies that take the longest to cook should go first and then add the other ones, like cabbage for example, later on).  You can add cooked rice or uncooked pasta at the very end (when all your veggies are cooked) if you desire.  Just remember that this will add points to the total point value of your soup.

Once all the veggies are cooked, you are done.  You can either freeze your soup in portions or you can seal it in Mason jars.

Enjoy J

If you have any questions or need more explanations, let me know.  I tried to write it down the best I could.

Point plus target: 30
Breakfast:
Lightly sweetened quick oats (Apple cinnamon): 3 pts
1 banana : 0 pt
1/2 cup of skim milk: 1 pts

Snack: 
1 apple: 0 pt

Lunch:
Cabbage Soup (2 cups): 4 pts
Soda crackers (6): 2 pts
Fat Free Cheese Slice (2): 1 pts
Greek yogurt (2%): 3 pts

Snack: 
Kiwi: 0pt

Supper:
Pork trimmed (4 oz.): 4 pts
Mashed potatoes (3/4 cup): 5 pts
Broccoli: 0 pts
Mango: 0 pt

Snack: 
Fat free pudding: 2 pts
Banana Bread muffin: 2 pts


Day's total: 27 pts

2 comments:

  1. I really happy you posted the recipe for your cabbage soup! Can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete